[Popsugar] Janee’ Kassanavoid Is the First Native American Woman to Medal at the World Athletics Championships

For the first time ever, the World Athletics Championships are being held on US soil, and American track and field athletes are making history left and right. Take Janee’ Kassanavoid, for example, who just became the first Native American woman to medal at the games, clinching a bronze medal in hammer throwing.

“I am SO incredibly thankful and blessed for this opportunity to throw heavy rocks,” Kassanavoid wrote in an Instagram post about her win. “To everyone who has supported me and followed me, THANK YOU! My fellow natives, women and young athletes DREAM BIG, WORK HARD & MAKE IT HAPPEN. WE’RE JUST GETTING STARTED.”

Standing on the podium together in Eugene, OR, Kassanavoid and Brooke Andersen, who won the gold, also made history: it was the first time two US women medaled in a throwing event at an outdoor World Athletics Championships.

Read the full article below:

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/janee-kassanavoid-world-championships-hammer-throw-48889415?utm_content=215971082&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-1575858736016260