UC Native American Opportunity Plan: Details about the Plan’s administration are still unfolding. We continue to update the UCLA American Indian Studies Center and the American Indian Studies Interdepartmental programs’ website with more information. For further information about Financial Aid at UCLA and how this may be impacted by the Plan, call 310-206-0400.
UCLA AISC Hybrid Model
Effective March 28, 2022, the UCLA American Indian Studies Center will be open five days a week, from 10 am until 4 pm, with the staff working a hybrid remote and in-person schedule. Hours and schedules are subject to change. Please contact the staff if you have any questions. You can find staff contact information here.
Click on the bold links below to hear the audio files for the pronunciation for the Tongva-language words.
AIS and AISC at UCLA acknowledge the Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (Los Angeles basin, So. Channel Islands) and are grateful to have the opportunity to work for the taraaxatom (indigenous peoples) in this place. As a land grant institution, we pay our respects to Honuukvetam (Ancestors), ‘Ahiihirom (Elders), and ‘eyoohiinkem (our relatives/relations) past, present and emerging.
Welcome to the UCLA American Indian Studies Center
The UCLA American Indian Studies Center (AISC) was founded in 1969 as a research institute dedicated to addressing American Indian issues and supporting Native communities. The AISC serves as a hub of activities for Indigenous students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community, as well as serving as a bridge between the academy and indigenous peoples locally, nationally, and internationally. We foster innovative academic research by students and faculty, publish leading scholarship in the field of American Indian Studies, and support events and programming focused on indigenous issues.
The Center also works in collaboration with some of the country’s most influential and respected scholars writing and teaching in American Indian Studies today, who have made UCLA one of the highest ranked and most respected universities in the field. We invite you to explore our website to learn more about us.
Dr. Shannon Speed
Director, American Indian Studies Center
Professor, Department of Gender Studies and Anthropology
- Native Bruin Highlight: Past, Present & Emerging – Angelo Isaac Sandoval
- Tenure-Track Assistant Professor Position in Native American Experiences in Engineering
- Native Bruin Highlight: Past, Present & Future – Matthew de Lira
- Native Bruin Highlight: Past, Present & Future – Jennifer R. Leal
- Native Bruin – Past, Present & Emerging – Christie Michelle Poitra
- Native Bruin – Past, Present & Emerging -Shayna Powless (Oneida Nation)
- Congratulations to the UCLA Native Bruins Class of 2023!
- Native Bruin- Past, Present, & Emerging – Joseph Nelson
- Native Bruin- Past, Present, & Emerging – Nina Stanton (Tule River Indian Reservation)