Native Bruins: Past, Present & Emerging – Caleb Dunlap

This July we are highlighting Native Bruin Caleb Dunlap, Anishinaabe. A 2009 UCLA Native Graduate.

Caleb Dunlap (he/him), known to his people as Baadwewidan, is Anishinaabe from Northern Minnesota and a member of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Ojibwe. A 2009 graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles in American Indian Studies. Caleb’s career ranges from working in public health to homeless relief and now as a Technical Recruiter with Amazon’s Consumer organization. In all of his work, he remains passionate and committed to access, community, diversity, and the creation of innovative programs and solutions. While at Amazon, he has been instrumental in founding and leading Indigenous@Amazon, Amazon’s employee global resource group for Native and Indigenous employees, to ensure that more Native and Indigenous employees find a home within Amazon. Caleb is also a proud member of the Sacred Water Canoe Family and the Northwest Two Spirit Society.

“I remember receiving my acceptance to UCLA and the very next day I received a call from a Native student asking me to attend. Knowing that there was a Native community on campus was the reason I came, stayed, thrived and eventually graduated. During my time at UCLA, I had the opportunity to lead our UCLA Pow Wow, the American Indian Recruitment (AIR) project and our chapter of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) alongside other Native students. These opportunities transformed my life! Looking back at my 10+ year professional career since graduation, I am a better professional and colleague because of my involvements at UCLA, my professors and most certainly because of my fellow Native students. Native students and alumni of UCLA are a force to be reckoned with and I am so amazed to see the way they maneuver this world and proud call to them my lifelong family”